The Volusia County Emergency Rental Assistance Program has funds to help households that have experienced financial hardship during the COVID-19 pandemic. Eligible households can receive up to nine months of rent and utility arrears and three months of term assistance.
The funds come from a previous federal grant that was not fully utilized.
Applications will be accepted from 9 a.m. on Wednesday, January 12. At that time, residents of the county can submit an application online at www.volusia.org/era. Income limits and a list of required documents are already displayed on the page.
With limited funds available, the county will close the application window after receiving 500 applications to ensure that assistance is available for all successful applicants. The portal is expected to quickly receive the maximum number of applications. Therefore, community support staff encourage applicants to collect the required documents in advance.
If you are currently on or have applied for Emergency Rental Assistance, you do not need to reapply.
It will take several weeks for community support staff to process requests and verify information. As the amount of dollars committed is calculated, additional requests may be accepted at a later date to ensure that the funding is fully utilized. The county will notify in advance if the application window opens again.
For those who need help with the application, browsers will be available on the morning of January 12 at:
- Daytona Beach, DeLand, Deltona, New Smyrna Beach, Ormond Beach and Port Orange Regional Libraries
- John H. Dickerson Heritage, Hope Place, DeBary and Edgewater Public Libraries
- Emergency Rental Assistance Office, 121 W. Rich Ave., DeLand
Landlords can apply on behalf of their tenants. They are requested to send an e-mail to [email protected] with their contact details. They will be contacted by a member of staff to help them complete the application.
An eligible household is a tenant household in which at least one or more people meet and can document these criteria:
- Is eligible for unemployment or has experienced a reduction in household income, incurred significant costs, or experienced financial hardship due to or during the COVID-19 pandemic
- Demonstrates a risk of housing insecurity
- Has a household income equal to or less than 80% of the region’s median income
Applications will be ranked in order of priority in this order:
- Applicants who are unemployed for the 90 days preceding the date of application and whose income is equal to or less than 50% of the region’s median income
- Applicants whose income is equal to or less than 50% of the region’s median income
- Applicants who are unemployed for the 90 days preceding the date of application and whose income is equal to or less than 80% of the region’s median income
- Applicants whose income is equal to or less than 80% of the region’s median income
For more information, call the Volusia County Community Assistance Division at 386-943-7095.